Cyber is only for online businesses or web stores taking online payments. FALSE

Cyber liability coverage protects the business in the event it exposes any personally identifiable information. The protection ranges from liability (of course in case someone sues), regulatory compliance defense, IT forensics investigation, extortion of data, business interruption due to cyber event, repair/replacement of damaged data, reputation and brand protection, legal defense, public relations, and expert breach consultation. In fact, architects and developers have purchased the coverage to protect privileged business information about other high profile businesses. For instance, if McDonald’s has contracted with a local developer to build a new store, they may not want that information getting in the hands of competitors. Cyber policies can even include coverage for exposing protected business information.

My credit card processing company is responsible for notifying my customers if a data breach occurs. FALSE

This is something most insurance experts hear far too often and one of the biggest myths of them all. States have privacy data breach laws that require businesses to notify an individual when the business has breached a customer’s information. Think about it this way; if your business was not there to take the customer’s information, then it would have never ended up in any other system.

Let’s say the credit card processing company is hacked and all of your customer’s credit card information is stolen. The credit card processing company has a duty to notify their customers, i.e. your business and other businesses that use their services. Your company then has a duty to notify all of your customers until the affected customer has been notified. Some states require businesses to offer credit monitoring for up to three years after the incident. Notification duties fall on the entity initiating the transaction regardless of where information is then subsequently stored.


I have a small business; nobody cares to hack my data. FALSE

Most small businesses are more vulnerable than their larger counterparts simply due to the lack of money and man power available to thwart potential threats. Often times, the smaller businesses are contracted out by larger companies which usually do not have the proper controls in place. Take for example the following data breach: A 17-year-old high school student from the Ukraine created a malware program and infiltrated a refrigeration company’s IT system. The refrigeration company happened to be contracted about by Target Corp. (TGT: NYSE) to monitor the coolers in their stores. The malware program was able to bypass Target’s security system and hack 70 million customer records and 40 million credit cards.


There has been a steady increase in the amount of cyber extortion incidents. Hackers realize that the business’ information is most valuable to the business owner. So hackers are now holding computer systems/servers and company data hostage in exchange for ransom. In most cases, a cyber policy will cover the costs of this type of business extortion.


I can barely afford my current insurance policies; this is just another product I’m being sold. FALSE

Insurance professionals are held to the same ethical standards as any other profession. Except in most cases if an insurance professional fails to offer coverage, the agent’s E&O insurance could end up becoming the client’s missing liability policy. It’s important to understand the benefits of the cyber liability product before you check the ‘REJECT COVERAGE’ box. An average data breach event for a typical small business generating under $5M in revenues costs $65,000. The average cost of a cyber policy for the same business with $500,000 limits is around $750 annually. When comparing the two costs, it would take approximately 86 years at $750 annually to equal the cost of one potential data breach.


It can’t/won’t happen to me…FALSE, FALSE, and MORE FALSE

If you believe you have the best IT security system or that you will never be a victim of a data breach event, then you will mostly likely end up becoming part of the growing statistic: 60% of SMB’s that lose their data will shut down in 6 months. Even if you were able to afford the cost of the data breach, will your business sustain if you lose revenues due to a tarnished reputation. Target lost 46% of their revenue after the breach occurred due to customer mistrust. Could your business take a $65,000 hit in addition to losing more than 46% of revenues all in the same year and still survive?


Read: NY insurers, banks prepare for February cybersecurity deadline


Cyber security continues to be the largest growing threat to small and medium sized businesses year after year. As the environmental exposures around your business increase, so too should your protection. Many people still consider their General Liability policy or Business Owners Policy to be the ultimate form of protection. When your industry becomes the next target of data breaches, will it be you or your competitors who are better equipped to handle? Contact a Blankit professional so you can answer those questions confidently.


Blankit’s Easy Condo Insurance Guide: What is Covered by Who?

To state the obvious, a condominium is not the same thing as a house. Usually, there’s no backyard or basement, and you don’t have to worry about cutting the grass or shoveling a front walk.

Insurance is another area where homes and condos differ. Condo owners are typically responsible for insuring just a portion of their property on their own. However, rules differ from complex to complex, and it’s important to ask the right questions to ensure you have proper insurance coverage.

Here are six things you need to know about insuring your condominium and how Blankit protects you.

6 questions about condo insurance

Condominium owners have unique insurance needs. Ask yourself these questions to make sure you are properly insured.

  1. What does your master policy say?
  2. How expensive is the association deductible?
  3. How much coverage is appropriate?
  4. Cash value or replacement cost coverage?
  5. Have you insured contents and structure?
  6. Are you covered for flood and wind damage?

myblankit flood

1. What does your master policy say?

Owners of condominium units obviously do not own the entire condominium complex. Typically, they own their own unit outright and share ownership of the rest of the complex with all the other owners.

From an insurance point of view, that means all individual unit owners have a collective responsibility for insuring areas of the complex owned in common.  This includes building exteriors and hallways, the pool area, parking garage, entry, club houses, etc. A condominium association typically collects monthly dues from unit owners and uses a portion of these funds to insure common areas.

Meanwhile, the unit owner typically is responsible for separately insuring everything within the four walls of his or her individual unit.

The condo association’s master policy, as well as association rules, should spell out clearly which parts of the complex are insured through association dues, and which parts are not. There are two broad categories of master policies.

Two types of master policies

This is some boxed off content with a gray background.

  1. Bare walls-in. Covers all real property from the exterior framing inward, but does not cover the fixtures and installations within the condo unit. So, things like granite countertops, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and the flooring are not covered by the master policy. This condo owner will probably have the greatest coverage need.
  2. All-in. Covers fixtures, installations or additions within the interior surfaces of the perimeter walls, floors and ceilings of individual units. This condo owner will probably have a more limited coverage need.

There are also variations of the two types. These details should be spelled out in the condominium association bylaws.

2. How expensive is the association deductible?

Condo association insurance typically includes commercial insurance coverage for the commonly shared building and common areas. Such policies typically have an association deductible.

Basically, in the event of a natural disaster or hurricane or whatever, it is spelled out in the policy. If the condo association needs major work or there is major damage to the structure, the condo association will tender the claim to their commercial insurer and they would get covered for their loss.

But there would be a deductible and that deductible would be assessed against all unit owners — so if there are 10 unit owners, it would be divided 10 ways.

A recent trend in many states toward more expensive condo deductibles. We are looking at wind now at 3%.

The coverage should be spelled out in the association’s bylaws.

Step 1: Always read your bylaws. Always 

A copy of the association’s insurance agreement should have been given to the unit owner at the time of purchase. It specifies the responsibilities of the association and the individual owners.

If the owner does not have a copy, he or she can obtain one from the association’s board of directors, its business manager or anyone from the association responsible for addressing individual unit owner questions. The owner’s condo insurance sales representative should be able to assist in answering questions about the insurance agreement.

3. How much coverage is appropriate?

Once you’ve determined exactly which parts of your condominium unit you must insure individually, you need to decide how much coverage to acquire.

You can estimate coverage by paying attention to how much other owners in the development paid for recent upgrades, such as new flooring, cabinetry and countertops.

Another way we can roughly estimate that is we go by about half the market value for interior structures. So, if there’s a fire, for instance, people have enough to replace their flooring, their cabinetry and their walls — anything else that’s actually considered their personal responsibility. That’s a pretty good way to estimate it. Some buildings may have you cover the windows and walls, so please, read your bylaws when calculating sufficient coverage.

4. Cash-value or replacement-cost coverage?

Once you determine the appropriate amount of coverage, you’ll need to decide how much coverage to purchase. You need to pick between two basic categories: cash value and replacement cost.

What’s the difference? Thousands of dollars, in many cases.

Cash-value coverage only replaces the value of the insured item minus depreciation.

With actual cost-value coverage, there’s depreciation based on the age of your contents. If the TV was 2 or 3 years old, we’d go see what it costs today and calculate the depreciation.

In this example, the person who lost the TV would receive a check for the amount that the TV was worth after two or three years of wear and tear.

By contrast, a person with replacement-cost coverage would receive a check for what it would cost to replace the old TV with a new model. Depreciation is not used in the replacement-cost model.

We strongly recommend replacement-cost coverage for your contents, especially in a condominium association. So if you had a loss, the insurance compensation would replace what it would cost if you were to buy it today.

myblankit fire

Are you covered?

5. Have you insured contents and structure?

When insuring your condo, make sure you have coverage for contents and structural items.

What’s the difference?

Content vs. structure

Examples of content: furniture, area rugs, electronics, jewelry, valuable artwork/collectibles

Examples of structure: flooring, cabinetry, countertops, carpeting, lighting

We often tell our customers that if they were to turn their condo upside down, everything that falls out is a ‘content. Everything that stays is ‘interior structure.

Condominium owners should approach insurance needs from a slightly different perspective compared to owners of single-family homes. Someone who owns a standalone single-family home typically looks at the price of replacing the structure (usually a house) first before determining insurance coverage for the possessions or content inside the structure itself.

In contrast, condominium unit owners should take the reverse approach.

Condominium coverage is really built off your contents,  you look to see what you have: electronics, furniture, furnishings, rugs, etc. That would be the first thing you need to assess to determine the value of your contents.

Next, determine which structural items inside your four walls you are responsible for insuring.

You definitely need to gauge what all those things would cost if you had to replace them today.

There are gaps between what the condominium association covers and what your personal condo policy covers.

We often ask customers to fax Blankit the part of their bylaws that describes the common elements so we can figure out if they need anything in between or expanded coverage.

For example, people need coverage if there is damage to the building that begins in a common area but continues through a unit owner’s front door and into the unit.

There are so many different possibilities of where there could be a gap in recovery.

Always consider that there is the need to insure special items, such as artwork, jewelry and furs separately listed.

Every customer should be aware and talk to their Blankit agent about any special items and possessions they might have. An agent will typically ask about art or jewelry or fur, but things like baseball card collections, stamp collections and things of that nature may not come up in conversation. You should really think about what you have that is important to you so you can make sure your covered. Jewelry, for instance, can often be limited unless you get expanded coverage.

6. Are you covered for flood and wind damage?

The U.S. government offers flood insurance to all homeowners. This coverage is often optional, but may be mandated by the mortgage holder if the property is in a flood zone.

These would all be discussions you’d typically want to have under the guise of an association. A flood will generally affect the actual structure of the building, so it would fall under the condo association’s master policy.

It is also worthwhile to consider personal flood insurance as a condo unit owner.

The individual unit owner can buy their own flood insurance because the association’s flood coverage probably won’t cover anybody’s personal contents or the interior structure. The association insurance will rebuild the building.

If you’re in a flood plain and the mortgage company requires the condominium association to have flood insurance, they’re going to require the unit buyer to bring a certificate saying you have flood insurance to the closing.

This is a warning light to the buyer and the customer to get personal flood insurance.

Please be careful to note that there is a difference between flood insurance and water backup coverage.

Water backup coverage isn’t federally mandated, but it’s a very good idea to have if you’re in a space where perhaps the basement has a lot of storage area and there’s potential for damage to your personal items if water backs up through your sewers and drains. Sometimes people get this mixed up with flood insurance.

Coverage for windstorms will generally be covered under the standard condominium policy unless there is a specific exclusion attached to the policy. If windstorm is excluded, the consumer may purchase wind coverage through the state’s wind pool association.

For the best rates on your Unit and your Building’s Insurance, contact Blankit today for all your needs!